2.03.2008

Thoughts

First of all Happy Birthday to Cooper! I can't believe she's 13, it seems like the little girls have grown up faster since I've left home.

I watched President Hinckley's funeral today. I had to work yesterday so Russell recorded it for me (and mom, and sis if you want a copy). As I watched I had two pressing thoughts, the weird thing was neither were actually about the Prophet.

My first thought came as he daughter was talking about him while they were driving to the cemetary. She was saying that she worried for the longest time about how she would teach her kids the things they needed to know about the gospel etc. and said that when she heard him bear his testimony in a sacrament meeting she realized the best thing she could do was live the gospel in a way that would allow her children to use her as an example.

As much as I long for children, I am scared to death that I will not be able to teach them the things they need to know to live a good life and return to our Father in Heaven. Her words reassured me that if I am trying to be the best example I can, they will learn and hopefully choose to do the same things.

This leads to the picture of the day Day 34- Feb 3:

I have this picture of Christ holding this little boy in my living room. I hope I can teach my children as tenderly as the Lord taught those children who walked with him.

My second thought, which has stayed with me the entire night is more of a feeling. I feeling of sadness for President Monson. In a matter of less than a year President Monson has lost the two men he worked closely with for 40+ years. To me, this would be just short of losing his wife. As I watched him, especially at the grave site, it was obvious that he felt left behind a little. And in the midst of all his sorrow, he has to shake it off and be in charge. I can't even imagine having that responsibility. I pray that he will have the strength he needs to continue on as the Lord would have him.

0 comments: